Re: [CQ-Contest] Did I cheat in NAQP CW?

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Did I cheat in NAQP CW?
From: "W0MU Mike Fatchett" <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 21:18:01 -0700

 1.  If it's OK to use "call history" files, is it OK to look up states in
the (on-line) callbook.  Why should one list of historical data be OK, and
the other not?  (I did NOT look up anybody's state or name in the 'Test.)

History files that you made are ok in my book.  This would be data gathered
from previous operating.  I guess someone could create a file for every
callsign if they wanted from FCC or callbook data.  I have no idea if any of
the logging programs could handled over 500,000 callsigns.  As previously
stated that can cause more harm than good if you are not paying attention.
My legal name is Kenneth, but I go by Mike usually and will use other names
from time to time.  I don't think this is that big of deal either way.  We
have allowed callsign databases for years that are compiled by K5ZD.

2.  I worked a guy whose state I know.  And he did indeed send that state
(to me AND to the guy who beat me out on the first call).  When I worked him
on the second band, I knew his state would be a mult.  When I typed in his
call the logging software filled in the report for me, but did not indicate
it was a new mult.  Hmmm?  Oh!  It says "MD"  I must have entered his state
as MD the first time.  I guess I was listening to my report being sent while
I typed in his report, and unconsciously typed in my own state.  No problem.
I rolled back in the log and fixed his state in the first QSO, and continued
working the 'Test.

Now, my own opinion is that anything I fix DURING the contest is OK -- but I
had been considering errors that I recognized right away.  In this case, I
would not have noticed the error except for the fill-in feature of the
logging software.

I agree.

3.  Late in the 'Test I made a desperate jump to 40M (which was already
pretty dead by the time I started the 'Test).  I heard somebody tuning up,
and a well-know station in GA called CQ NA.  I listened for a moment, and
heard him get no answers.  So I called him by name, and said "You are vy
loud but nobody is here.  GL"

Did I make him multi-op?  (He did keep calling CQ.)  Should we never give
ANY info that might help the other guy, including "VY LOUD" or (as my buddy
N6XI once said to me) "P**S WEAK".  BTW, I reserve the right to tell N3AM he
is very loud.  I think that from the top of his tower John can see my
antenna ...if he looks down.

Thankfully you are not able to make anyone else multiop unless they ask
for/accept your assistance.  Telling someone that they are loud into your
qth didn't put a contact in his log.  It might have made him feel better
knowing he was still getting out.  This is supposed to be fun too.  The
rewards are plaques, paper and bragging rights not millions of dollars.  I
hope that we can continue to drop by a friends freq and let him know he
sounded good, loud etc.

Mike W0MU