[CQ-Contest] Directional CQs & Contest Ethics

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Directional CQs & Contest Ethics
From: <w2lc@twcny.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 12:59:08 -0500
Directional CQ’s

Way back when, in the days of paper logs, every once in awhile I did
directional CQing for VE multipliers, MAR and NL or whatever the mults were
many years ago.  From here, you go to 80m in the morning down at the bottom of
the band (much easier today), to get as close to the VE’s operating out of the
US band, and call CQ VE1.  Usually in 5 minutes or so someone would answer, you
explain the exchange, and there you go a sweep!  Back to running.

So yes it does work.

Assistance

Being in NY and all, very often I am asked, “you hear any NNY stations on?”
And my answer is always YES, I worked 7 of them last night on 80m. Easy from
here, but not so easy for the western stations of course.  And I usually give
them a couple calls to look for, like K2NNY the most obvious one, but there are
many others that I have worked in NNY. Now I don’t think that makes me or the
other guy a multi, but who knows.

There are bigger ethics issues than asking if you've heard a mult on:

Hypothetically speaking of course, not trying to imply anything here…. ;) ;)

Say you are operating a contest, but maybe you are just listening, or maybe
you're just reading your email, and you realize that someone is breaking the
rules.

And I mean that you are certain, absolutely certain beyond any doubt, that a
station and its operators and/or associates and/or friends are breaking a “well
defined rule”. If there is such a thing.  What is the responsibility of the
third party observer?

Does the third party observer have the responsibility to rat-out the rule
breaker to the contest committee? Or. Should the third party person approach
the rule breakers and set them straight? Or is there another option?  Or just
ignore it?

73 Scott W2LC