Re: [CQ-Contest] Did I cheat in NAQP CW?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Did I cheat in NAQP CW?
From: wayg@cape-vision.com
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 07:03:53 -0700
First, I'd like to thank everyone for some very informative and
educational dialogue on here, I don't post frequently to the group.

Here are my questions:

During SS I was calling CQ SS without qualification for 5 minutes
straight unanswered. In the 6th minute, the VE8 came back to me. Wow,
was I happy! So after a few more unanswered CQ's on the next QSO, I
shared my happiness at the fact the VE8 was just here to give me a much
needed mult.

Now he didn't solicit this information, and as a human instinct, I felt
the need to share how I was feeling by saying the VE8 was just here and
encourage those who were next in line to stay motivated and find the VE8
if they hadn't gotten him yet. It was all about sportsmanship; I was
only doing someone else a favor, and in theory, lessening my chances of
outscoring them by helping them with that information.

And if you want to go to the "dark side", even if it was a devious
deception, how would you take such information? Isn't any information
gathered secondhand on-air possibly incorrect, just as online data
sources are often woefully behind the real facts at the present moment?

Is that within the spirit of the rules, or not? At what point are the
rules incapable of addressing the current issues? Aren't the rules in
fact only as robust as the accumulated experiences and possible
envisioned scenarios up to the moment they are published?

BTW, this also kinda shoots a hole in the "it's all about the rate"
theory of getting mults. It might be true for the ones that are
plentiful or inevitable, but I don't believe it's true for the ones that
are truly rare from a given location. I wonder what's "rare" to the VE8?
VT? RI? DE?

If I were that impatient about my rate which was totally in the toilet
at that moment, I'd never have held still long enough for the VE8 to
find me, and he was weak enough that I probably wouldn't have heard him
amongst a pileup. He also wasn't my last mult to fall, either. I S&p'd 1
more to finish the sweep.

So if I pointed my beam antenna at VE8 from my qth, isn't that REALLY a
"directional CQ"???? Just what are we really getting at?

(WARNING: Can of Worms!) And how will we enforce the use/abuse of
reverse beacons during contests?

--            Geoffrey Way

        websites: http://www.cape-vision.com/wayg/mrep
                  http://www.cape-vision.com/wayg/ka1ior