Re: [CQ-Contest] Did I cheat in NAQP CW?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Did I cheat in NAQP CW?
From: Nate Bargmann <n0nb@n0nb.us>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 07:25:23 -0600
* Kelly Taylor <theroadtrip@mts.net> [2010 Jan 16 06:41 -0600]:
> And of course, that raises another question:
> If writing the rules will take a team of lawyers, then each of us will have
> to consult with our $300-per-hour legal beagles to understand them.
>
> Is that the kind of hobby we want?

Looking around at the rest of USA pass times, the answer may seem to
be, "Yes!"

> I didn't get in to this so lawyers would get rich. If that's where we're
> going, stop the bus and let me off.

Me either,  Fun is the name of the game for me and KISS figures heavily
into that.

> Most of the rules were fine when we couldn't sit here and nitpick them to
> death as armchair barristers. The key is to stop over-analyzing.

Look at the major sports in the USA and tell me we're not in love with
rules.  We love to nitpick rules and make up more.  We want a "level"
playing field that limits our competitors and and then grumble when
those same rules limit our lattitude.  As the business side of sports
became ever more are part of and now almost the only reason for the
games, we have rules that make certain positions nearly off-limits (NFL
quarterbacks) to protect highly paid athletes.  As we mire ourselves
into more rules the spirit of the original games are lost.

So far radio sport has been a amateur endeavor.  However, as major
contest teams are being featured by this radio manufacturer or that
one in ads, will our radio sport suffer a similar fate as the
professional and even college (allegedly "amateur") sports have?  So
far radio sport has mostly been for bragging rights and even that can
cause some to lose their integrity.  What happens if we allow big money
in one form or another into radio sport?

I'll continue to operate for personal satisfaction.

73, de Nate >>