Re: [CQ-Contest] AN OPEN LETTER TO THE CQ CONTEST COMMITTEE

To: Jim Neiger <n6tj@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] AN OPEN LETTER TO THE CQ CONTEST COMMITTEE
From: "Rick Lindquist, WW3DE" <ww3de@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 15:24:16 +0000 (UTC)

Jim, your posting raises some valid issues.

I certainly hope that the CQ Contest Committee does not determine that the best
approach to head off prospective cheating in the single op category would be to
co-opt a technology that enables cheating in the first place. As you note, such
"decriminalization" could have broad consequences beyond the immediately
obvious. In any case, taking advantage of packet spots is not the only means
available to single ops who may be inclined to flout the rules.

In my opinion, FOIA and democratic principles do not apply to entities such as
CQ Communications that sponsor contests. Unlike the ARRL, CQ is not a
membership organization (you join the League; you do not subscribe to QST ).
CQ's leadership should be free to appoint whomever it wants to its various
committees. One's "vote," I suppose, would be to subscribe or not to subscribe
to the magazine.

I'm a bit player in the contesting arena, but I'll be interested to see what
others have to say.

73, Rick, WW3DE