Re: [CQ-Contest] AN OPEN LETTER TO THE CQ CONTEST COMMITTEE

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] AN OPEN LETTER TO THE CQ CONTEST COMMITTEE
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 06:58:31 -0500
N6TJ wrote:

 > (3) Of course, major crutches like packet and skimmers will make all past
 > records null and void.  Single Operator - Assisted multiplier totals will
 > soon rival those of the Multi-multi submittals.

KE1FO replied:

 > Really?
 > Seems like the numbers show that for the most part you're going to work the
most mults by working the most q's, which you don't do when you're hunting
down mults on packet.  And even if you do work more mults by using packet,
you won't work as many q's as the unassisted guy.

         Jim is correct about **multiplier** totals, although there
is some truth in your latter comment regarding total score.  I speak
from personal experience in several SOSB/10 entries where a
competitor consistently had 10m multiplier totals rivalling
KC1XX/W3LPL/K3LR (N6TJ's premise).  Even with that assistance, I was
still able to beat him because of more QSO points.  He was later
reclassified to SOA (or totally removed) once the log checkers were
on to him.  It doesn't take rocket science to know something is fishy
when an "unassisted" single op posts multiplier totals close to the Big 3.

         However, I do believe it would be easy to augment scores
using spots only for rare mults.  It would still require experience
to know which might be worthy of chasing rather than simply having
them come to you.

                                 73,  Bill  W4ZV