Re: [CQ-Contest] AN OPEN LETTER TO THE CQ CONTEST COMMITTEE

To: Tonno Vahk <es5tv@erau.ee>, "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] AN OPEN LETTER TO THE CQ CONTEST COMMITTEE
From: Richard DiDonna NN3W <nn3w@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 9:49:32 -0500
I fully agree with Tonno.  I've done both SOHP assisted and unassisted - with
the #1 SOAB in 2006, the #2 SOAB on 2007 and the #1 SOAB(A) in 2008.  My score
in 36 hours in 2008 - assisted - was basically identical to my 45 hour
unassisted score in 2007 - unassisted.

I can say with certainty that a disciplined op running assisted could boost a
"box" score by 10 to 20%.  You learn not to chase the packet piles (or you are
confident enough to believe that you will win them within 3 calls), you realize
that the packet allows you to tell you if an opening on a marginal band is
developing, you get automatic band maps on the second band, and you get to spot
where your competitors are how they are doing.  When its Sunday at 0600z and
you are too physically spent to actually tune the bands on a second radio, the
packet allows you to point and shoot your way up and down the band.

Info is power and Assisted is a quantum level of information advancement as
opposed to unassisted.

I'll agree with other comments in that it takes out some of the gut intuition
that you may have.  And I will definately agree that folks become addicted to
packet at the expense of tuning the band.

73 Rich NN3W