Re: [CQ-Contest] USA stations in ARRL DX

To: "Richard F DiDonna NN3W" <nn3w@cox.net>, "CQ-Contest@contesting. com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] USA stations in ARRL DX
From: "Kelly Taylor" <ve4xt@mts.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 22:05:30 -0600
I think it's inadvisable to assume, as Richard says, malice, even in Dave's
scenario. I would suggest Dave's little pileups are guys who thought "Oh, he
worked a W. Must mean that he's working Ws." I think assuming they know
exactly the score may be giving them too much credit. I think the problem is
exacerbated with non-traditional calls, such as AB7E, because I know there
are a number of operators out there unsophisticated enough (is that a polite
enough term?) to wonder, "Gee, what country is AB7?! Must be a good one!" I
know I had to explain that more than once when VV and I activated VC4X from
here in MB.

And, I'm sure a lot of guys are working you who can barely copy your call,
let alone figure out what 5nn az means!

I'd suggest the solution happens just before the contest: adjust your CQing
macros as follows:

F1: CQ DX TEST de...
F2: DX de... TEST

and if you have a blank: <call window content> 599 tu

If you worry that adding two characters to your CQ is costing you too much
time, ask yourself how much does having to send "sri no US DX only" cost?

Above all, just smile and wave: unless you're in a super rare state like ND,
every W/VE is in the same boat you are. If it's costing you, it's costing
the other guy, too. Problems are all relative.

73, kelly
ve4xt