Re: [CQ-Contest] A new "DX cluster" experience for contesters

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] A new "DX cluster" experience for contesters
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 11:33:22 -0700
I don't understand your point.  The power boat versus sailboat analogy
is a good one for illustrating the technology differences, but it falls
apart when people start worrying about simultaneous competition "on the
same lake".  Robotic QSOs  and assisted QSOsare transparent to everyone
else ... they don't take up more bandwidth, they don't use a different
exchange, and they sound like every other station.  The band is no
rougher lake for the "sailboats" when the "powerboats" are on it.  I
can't think of any reason why somebody would notice any difference
during a contest if a bunch of other high tech stations were on the
air.  What would make the contest less fun for you?  Why would you
quit?  Who would you rather work now ... the 40m CW op at K3LR or the
guy with a straight key and a bad fist that doesn't understand the
contest exchange?

As long as the contest sponsors define sufficient entry categories that
adequately cover the range of technical capabilities (and have
reasonable means of judging adherence to same), I don't understand why
we'd care whether technology opens up the game or not.  And for those
who are worrying about cheating, I think there are older and bigger fish
to fry, such as high power versus low power or single op versus
quasi-multiop.

73,
Dave   AB7E