[CQ-Contest] Skimmer/Packet/Internet Spotting Affects Everyone

To: CQ-Contest@Contesting.COM
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Skimmer/Packet/Internet Spotting Affects Everyone
From: steve.root@culligan4water.com
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 13:49:51 +0000
The problem I have with this “progress” is that you really can’t avoid it.You
are going to be directly affected by Skimmer/Packet/Internet spotting any time
you’re participating in a contest.Some have said that you can choose to be
assisted or not; I think it isn’t that simple.Spotting negatively affects you
in four ways:
1)Packet pileups.If you find DX on your own, there is a very good possibility
that it was spotted recently or soon will be.The ensuing pileup may be
insurmountable especially if you’re competing with stations that have much
better propagation.Think CQWW.In this case the use of Packet has a direct and
negative impact on your score.
2)Unequal Spotting Rates.Allow me to use the Dakota Division as an
example.There are two relatively rare sections and one very common section.Even
if stations in North Dakota and a station in Minnesota are operating
unassisted, who do you think will be spotted more persistently?The station in
Minnesota isn’t getting the same “benefit” from this technology.This is true
whether they are operating assisted or not.
3)Loss of DXpedition Activity.The adverse affects of spotting on rare DX
operations has been reported by at least three operators in recent weeks
(G3SXW, KM0O, K9NW).All three report the same thing, Packet pileups being so
unruly that it seriously hinders their ability to operate and enjoy the
contest.One of the things that makes a contest like CQWW so interesting is the
rare and exotic DX that shows up.This desirable activity is declining as a
direct result of “new technology”.
4)Broken spots.If you have a run going and someone spots your call incorrectly,
it’s almost impossible to get the dupes calling you to understand that they
should be listening to the CW you’re sending and not only reading their
computer screens.On occasion it is necessary to abandon a good run frequency
and move just to get away the packet misinformed callers.
The simple fact is that skimmers and reverse beacon networks and Internet
spotting affects everybody whether they like it or not.It’s up to the
individual how to deal with this reality; I don’t see it ever going away.
73 Steve K0SR