Re: [CQ-Contest] Skimmer/Packet/Internet Spotting Affects Everyone

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Skimmer/Packet/Internet Spotting Affects Everyone
From: Idle-Tyme <nss@mwt.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 11:23:53 -0500
On 4/18/2010 10:23 AM, Doug Smith wrote:
> - Exact a penalty for *being* a dupe too often.  To toss out some (possibly
> impractical) numbers, let's define your "dupe rate" as the proportion of
> the QSOs you make that come up as duplicates in the other guy's log.
> (regardless of whether they come up as duplicates in *your* log - where you
> may
> well have "busted" the call of the guy you duped)  Let's say we levy a
> penalty of 5% of your score for every % your dupe rate exceeds the contest
> average.

That's how contests in the past were.  Or at least that's how I remember
them being when I started contesting.  Dupes were a BAD thing and you
DID get penalized for having any! Not just a percentage, but any! I
remember a contest,  well I don't exactly remember what contest it was,
but I remember a contest hat if you had a dupe in your log, not only did
you of course loose it's points, but the penalty was whatever the next
contact was after the dupe was also removed from your log,  That was
nasty it could have been a new mult too!
> Much of the problem, however, is only going to be solved through user
> education.
>

> Joe WB9SBD
Driftless Zone Contesters W9ET