Re: [CQ-Contest] A new "DX cluster" experience for contesters

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] A new "DX cluster" experience for contesters
From: VR2BrettGraham <vr2bg@harts.org.hk>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 15:18:07 +0000
N4ZR suggested to EI5DI:

> Metaphorical loom-smashing aside, I think that this
> development will have little impact in the world of
> single-op contesting, given the rules that have been
> put in place in the last couple of years.

I don't see the rules preventing the abuse of spotting I see around here
(to draw attention to oneself).  And that is an abuse that can be easily
seen.

The other abuse of spotting, to find stations to work (which is an
operating function that is part of what the competition is based on),
will now probably be even harder to identify, seeing how the RBN will
spot with enthusiasm & without fear or favor - kind of undermining how I
would expect this type of abuse is detected.  Everyone will begin to
appear to be watching spots, as everyone will be increasingly working
stations that were recently spotted...

This then makes it even easier to get away with watching spots.  In the
part of the world I live in, advantages when seen will be exploited.
RBN _will_ be abused.

The technology is advancing much faster than policing of the game.  The
refs are either not looking or ignoring what happens on parts of the
pitch.  Another root issue I believe is that the world is not all that
homogeneous a place.  That is probably why Pete seems to be on another
planet than I am, suggesting RBN will have little impact on the world of
single-ops.  ;^)

73, ex-VR2BG/p.