Re: [CQ-Contest] [OKDXA] Best callsign letters

To: Discussion of OKDXA <okdxa@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] [OKDXA] Best callsign letters
From: Peter Laws <plaws0@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 11:08:32 -0500
On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 10:08, John Geiger <aa5jg@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Has anyone done a study (or have ancetodal evidence) about which letters
> (using standard phonetics) get through best on SSB during pileups or
> marginal/weak conditions?  For example, I though "j" would be decent letter
> but many people seem to hear "Juliet" as "India".  Don't know why they make
> that confusion, but they do.  So, which letters are best recognized and less
> confused?

I have anecdotal evidence that November 5 works OK, but that Uniform
Whiskey Yankee doesn't.  I usually alternate Yankee with Yokohama and
that seems to work.  Also, Under Water Yagi seems to work.  :-)

Part of the problem, IMHO, is that folks type N 5 U W into their log
program and the cheat file comes up with Cliff's call and they think
that's it,  During a recent SSB NAQP I've even had an op ask me to
repeat my name and say "is it Cliff, Cliff?".  No, bozo, it's Peter!
Stop using cheat files!!!