Re: [CQ-Contest] Best callsign letters

To: "'hank.k8dd'" <hank.k8dd@gmail.com>, "'Doug Smith'" <dougw9wi@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Best callsign letters
From: "Dave Sloan" <desloan@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 10:29:43 -0600
Guess I'll weigh in with my 2 cents. When I use standard ITU phonetics Oscar
quite often becomes Alpha. I have tried the old trick of recording myself
and then listening to see if I would make the same mistake I alos find that
quite often when working DX it is a problem for them to know what letter is
being given when you use the ITU phonetics. But, if you use country names
that problem is alleviated to a great degree.
   I remember a good friend was teach a ham class and was discussing
phonetics. He said he made a contact once and the other ham gave he a 59+20
signal report with excellent audio. When the other ham went to turn it back
to him he said he had not been able to copy his call. My froend went back to
him with whiskey brovo five lima oscar Zulu. Again the other ham told him he
didn't get his call. This time my friend gave his call twice using ITU
phonetics. Again the other ham said he had not copied his call. This time my
froend gave Willy Backer five London ocean zebra. Again the other ham said
he had not copied his call. Next my friend tried Wiskey Baker five Long Open
Zipper. The other station was able to copy his call this time, His point to
all this is you should try different things and use what works best for you.

TNX & 73,
Dave N0EOP
31033