Re: [CQ-Contest] Question about CQ WPX - Tribander/wires category

To: Hank Greeb <n8xx@arrl.org>, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Question about CQ WPX - Tribander/wires category
From: Ryan Jairam <rjairam@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2010 17:28:01 -0400
It is important to remember that it is not really triband wires, but
tribander SINGLE ELEMENT. I think (my opinion) that it was a huge
mistake to nickname it TB Wires because a lot of efficient antennas
can be made from wires. But anyway it is tribander single element.

So the guys with v beams wire beams etc would not qualify for the TS category.

In my opinion Warc band antennas are irrelevant because we don't
contest on the warc bands so it gives zero advantage during the
contest. If warc band antennas were disqualified the guys with
steppirs, verticals or even g5rv's would be in a pickle because they
wouldn't qualify for TB Single since those antennas are "all band"
antennas and not triband antennas.

Remember the intent of the category - to give a typical single tower
home station a shot at winning amongst the big guns with stacks of
beams, four squares etc.

Ryan, N2RJ

On 6/4/10, Hank Greeb <n8xx@arrl.org> wrote:

> I have a full size 3 element, 20 metre yagi, which I inherited from a
> silent Key for the effort of taking it down, along with a windmill tower
> and very heavy radar rotor.
>
> If I were to put it up someplace on my very modest antenna farm, could I
> still qualify as a Tribander/wires category?
>
> Or, if I put up a W8JK fixed wire beam for 20/15/10, would it disqualify
> me as from the Triband/wires category because it CAN work on 17 and 12
> metres?
>
> I'm thinking I need a bit more "punch" for my QRP effort on 20/15/10
> because lots of quite loud signals couldn't hear me on their end, even
> though they were S9+
>
> A W8JK beam would be easiest - I could point it toward Europe and hope
> to work a bit more from there.  As is, it was pretty slim pickings to
> Europe with my 80 metre dipole fed with ladder line.
>
> Also, I'm thinking of putting up a full wave loop on 80 metres at about
> 35 to 40' high.  Would this be considered a multi-element antenna if I
> used it on 40 metres?  How about 20/15/10?  I haven't bothered to
> research the directivity of a multi-wave loop, but I do remember vaguely
> that one gets directivity and gain, and the radiation angle gets lower
> as the length of the loop in wavelengths increases.  I think I read
> somewhere that a "V" beam or a Rhombic would NOT be considered for the
> "Wires" category. which seems logical because one can get quite a big of
> gain from a muti-wavelength v-beam or Rhombic.  Of course the horizontal
> beam width of a Rhombic gets very sharp when the length gets very long,
> so there's a big tradeoff.
>
> I see that most of the QRPers don't claim TB-Wires, so I'd like to stay
> in that category for future efforts.
>
> 73 de n8xx Hg

Sent from my mobile device

Ryan A. Jairam,