Re: [CQ-Contest] Public logs, public perception

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Public logs, public perception
From: Gary McAdams <g.m.mcadams@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 06:35:05 -0700
OK Guys,

Speaking only as one of the bottom feeder type of con-tester, you know;
one of those folks that all you top-tier types need to fill in your
precious logs...

It is a matter of little to no concern to me who wins a contest. After
all, this is something that I do for fun. I can't imagine why anyone
would feel the need to cheat in an Amateur radio contest.

What's the point? There are no monetary awards. No free vacations, not
even an many product endorsement contracts... The product endorsements
usually go to DX'ers not contesters.

So, why cheat in the first place?   I guess I'll never understand the
cheater mentality. I have to take it on faith that cheaters even exist.
I see no evidence of such activities. (Outside of this reflector that is...)

So, when I send in a log, it makes no difference to me who sees it.
There's nothing in there that needs to be hidden. When we participate in
a contest and send in a log we do it for everyone who participated in
the contest, not just because we (I) expect to win. If anyone wanted to,
they could listen to me during the contest and make their own record of
my activities. Of course no one would ever waste their time doing that,
but the point is that a contest is by its very nature, an event
conducted in public. So whats the furor about the records of that event
also being public?

As already noted, I was reading the thread mostly for its entertainment
value, but for a lower level contester like my self, looking at all you
big guns arguing about how many logs can be balanced on the head of a pin...

Well, it makes all of you / us look bad. Thank goodness the non-contest
types don't read this reflector... much!

Can you imagine what the ragchewer/ netaholics would do with this thread?

OK that's enough from the peanut gallery. You guys will no doubt
continue this unnecessary debate through the summer; right up to the
next big contest.

Have fun with the contest, admire all those plaques and certificates on
the wall, but don't forget that you need us lower level types also, so
lets keep it civil and quit arguing about stuff that is not relevant or
particularly interesting to the general list participants.

Is that too hard?

73 Gary WG7X
(Certified bottom feeder par excellance!)