Re: [CQ-Contest] Public Logs, etc.? Who Cares?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Public Logs, etc.? Who Cares?
From: Doug Smith <dougw9wi@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 19:46:59 -0500
Ron Notarius W3WN wrote:
> Paul,
>
> You bring up an interesting point.
>
> If there are no "secrets" left (W2LC's very interesting post
> notwithstanding), then why is there such a push to mandate Open Logs?
>
> The only reason I seem to see, this go around at least, is so that we all
> "share" information with other contesters, new and old alike.

> So why can't I be asked?  (And that goes for everyone else, as well)
>
> Is it because some find it too much of a bother to be courteous?

Quite possibly...

In all seriousness, I can see considerable logistical difficulty in keeping
track of which logs are supposed to be closed & which are to be open.  And
considerable bad blood if a simple mistake (as likely as not one made by the
complainant...) results in a closed log being opened.

I suppose one solution is for someone to launch a 3rd-party site where those
who wish their logs to be open can upload them.  Logs on that site
wouldn't benefit from showing the results of logchecking though.

--

Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN  EM66