Re: [CQ-Contest] Field Day and contesting...

To: CQ Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Field Day and contesting...
From: Zack Widup <w9sz.zack@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 13:34:56 -0500
This last weekend was my 44th Field Day. I have always enjoyed getting out
and operating in the field for a weekend. I've been in FD operations over
the years that ranged from large, full-blown 15A stations, with a mess tent
and everything for eating and sleeping, and a few stations with legal-limit
amps powered by a 12 kW generator, to single 1A stations running barefoot or
QRP.

I have never operated from home on FD. It's fun to me as a FIELD day. I do
enjoy all the QSO's with 1D stations, as they help fill our category A logs.
And I realize they can do whatever they want to. If they want to have fun
calling CQ and running stations, well OK, but that's not FIELD day. To
me, that would be just something to do for fun. It's not the same level of
participation.

Field Day is one of the few events that gives points for activities other
than making QSO's - like having a visit by a government official, for press
releases and for copying the ARRL FD bulletin. Also for sending a radiogram
to your SM. I wonder how many people these days know how to send a
radiogram? I'm curious how many FD stations actually did that.

So do whatever you'd like, but let's keep the FIELD in Field Day as much as
possible,

73, Zack W9SZ