Re: [CQ-Contest] The King (Packet cluster network) is dead! Long live th

To: ct1boh@gmail.com, cq-contest@contesting.com, Jimk8mr@aol.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] The King (Packet cluster network) is dead! Long live the Kin...
From: Julius Fazekas <phriendly1@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 05:05:39 -0700 (PDT)
Better receivers...

Better understanding/appreciation of propagation to maximize openings. Consider
that records have been decimated in the past few years with out the benefit of
any significant action on 15 or 10, but much more action on 160 and 80. 40 and
20 are still the workhorse bands.

Better antennas due to modeling and experience. Even many modest contest
stations have much better antenna systems than some of the more competitive
stations of the 70s.

Think a real major reason is that contesting is one of the more enjoyable
activities even if you are not a contester. It's a way to work towards awards,
see if you station still works, make a bunch of contacts in a short period of
time and catch the thrill of an unusual opening.

Think Jim is right, being spotted generally is most beneficial (or detrimental)
to "rare" multipliers, versus the rank and file.

73,
Julius

Julius Fazekas
N2WN