Re: [CQ-Contest] The King (Packet cluster network) is dead! Long live th

To: cq-contest@contesting.com, Doug Smith <dougw9wi@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] The King (Packet cluster network) is dead! Long live the Kin...
From: RT Clay <rt_clay@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 11:30:15 -0700 (PDT)

> (SO2R does of course force a different strategic decision:
> which other band will you do your S&Ping on?  Until
> someone works out the technology to S&P
> on the same band on which they're CQing.  I'd bet
> someone is already doing that but hasn't yet released their
> secret!)  (I've done it in the ARRL DX
> but only while running QRP)

Easy: current hardware has the capability to do in-band SO2R at any power level
without the need for far-remote rx antennas, super filters, etc. All that is
needed is a wide-band SDR hooked to the IF output of the transceiver. The trick
is to use the recording/time-delaying capability of SDR:

When in RX mode, the system continuously records a slice of the band, keeping a
certain amount of time slice (<30 seconds needed in practice) in memory.

While in TX mode, the computer plays the recorded slice back to the op in split
headphone audio as if it was a second rig on another band. The op can then
virtually tune through the samples, identify callsigns that are needed, and
input them on a bandmap, all while transmitting at the same time. When ready to
work a S&P qso, the computer just loads that freq into the 2nd rx vfo.

Not quite as efficient as cross-band SO2R because you can't really listen when
you are transmitting, but I think it could come very close.

Someone just has to write the code. There are lots of other ways SDR can be
used "unassisted" in logging programs as well.

Tor
N4OGW/5