Re: [CQ-Contest] Online marketing spotting

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Online marketing spotting
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 09:46:10 -0700
Hi, Pete.

Those are all valid comments ... for today.

I think it might be possible, however, to overlay a voice signal with
some sort of lower-volume digital encoding that a Skimmer-like
application could decode, possibly with more reliability than for CW if
the proper encoding scheme was chosen.  I'm no expert on the digital
modes, but I believe that some of them are rather remarkable in terms of
intelligibility in the face of interference ... especially when they
have voice-wide bandwidths to work with.  Anyone could rather easily
generate the combined voice/signature files for use as voice macros, and
of course receivers could be adapted for whatever target band segment
was desired.

It remains to be seen whether such a scheme would be considered legal,
though, even if someone only used such a digital overlay when
transmitting and didn't user a decoder to receive callsign information.
If I transmit a digital signal that allows the guy on the other end to
decode my callsign, would I be violating the rules prohibiting
cross-mode-contacts?  I strongly suspect I would, but who knows what
future evolution of the rules might occur for assisted categories.

Just some thoughts ...

73,
Dave   AB7E