Re: [CQ-Contest] The Meaning of Assisted

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] The Meaning of Assisted
From: Joe <nss@mwt.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 15:50:42 -0500
  I agree on how to try to get more people into it.

I have had limited success here,  but it's worse than pulling teeth.
Once a ham has been licensed for more than a year or two then it gets
for some reason very hard to get them to even try it.  Once you get them
in the shack and try it, I have had a like 75% or even more retention
rate that they find it a lot of fun and continue to do it for years down
the road.  but the problem is getting them to even try it.  Most think
they can not do it.  Granted a CW contest is for the most part above
many many heads especially newcomers.  They just can not go that fast,
and sad to say many contesters won't slow down enough to work them.  But
a phone contest anyone can do.

Where I had the best results in getting new blood into contesting is ham
radio classes,  if a class is happening and a popular contest is coming
up,  ask the people giving the class if you can give a short
presentation about contesting and invite everyone in the class to come
and operate.

99% of them will show up,  they are super excited already about getting
their license, and being able to operate with privileges higher that
what they will be getting is even more a plus never mind a larger
station than they probably will have also.

I've done this and like if the class has a dozen students,  usually at
least ten show up for the contest!  and most if not all have a blast and
at least 9 of the original 12 keep contesting once they get their license.

What I'd like the contest community to do is to come up with a nice
power point presentation,  about contesting, and why it's good to do,
that we all could use at club meetings, license classes etc.

i'm terrible at that otherwise I'd make one up.

Joe WB9SBD
  W9ET  Driftless Zone Contesters

The Original Rolling Ball Clock
Idle Tyme