Re: [CQ-Contest] [wrtc2010] WRTC 2014 Team Selection Criteria

To: "Contest Reflector" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] [wrtc2010] WRTC 2014 Team Selection Criteria
From: "Rich K2WR" <k2wr@njdxa.org>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2010 14:43:58 -0400
In the interest of civility, I'm disappointed at the strong language already
directed at K1TO over the selection criteria just announced for WRTC 2014.
Setting selection criteria is a no-win game for the person(s) doing the
setting, and I think, at the very least, that everyone should give Dan, and
those he worked with, the benefit of having been willing to let a big target
get put on their backs.

The criteria had to get approved by the Sanctioning Committee, which includes
considerable international membership, so it's not as if Dan just pulled this
out of the air.

With regard to single-band efforts and weighting, I think it's generally
reasonable for those putting on the event to get to make the rules.  As long as
the criteria are the same for everyone and do not blatantly favor any
particular part of the world, complaints this early tend to take on the aspect
of "how do these criteria affect MY plans?"

If you know three years in advance of the selections that your chances of
surviving the process are improved by emphasizing all-band efforts, then your
most advantageous course of action is clear.  Everyone is subject to the same
rules.

I guess I'll put my own flame suit on now.

Rich