Re: [CQ-Contest] NAQP CW + Skimmer

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] NAQP CW + Skimmer
From: "K1TTT" <K1TTT@ARRL.NET>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 20:32:18 +0000
The way I read the rule before was that CW Skimmer in any mode that was
generating spotting information was not allowed... wide band, narrow band,
didn't matter, the FIRST phrase of that rule

"Access to spotting information obtained directly or indirectly from any
source other than the station operator, such as from other stations or
automated tools, is prohibited"

seems to me to completely prohibit any source of spotting information either
from 'other stations' OR 'automated tools'... since CW Skimmer is an
automated tool that generates spotting information it is prohibited.  I am
guessing that most other operators read it that way also and that is why
there was no real complaint about it.

The clarification does nothing to that first part of the rule, it just
muddies the water by calling out CW Skimmer along with other code readers
for copying exchange information... something that must be done one qso at a
time to make a contact... this doesn't seem to be a change since using code
readers seemed acceptable before.

As far as decoding multiple cw stations within the audio pass band, I don't
consider that any different than hot shot cw ops who run with ssb filters
and copy multiple callers at once.  In the audio mode CW Skimmer is no
better, and sometimes worse due to audio distortion, than a good operator
copying by ear.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net