Re: [CQ-Contest] Skimmer and NAQP

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Skimmer and NAQP
From: Joe <nss@mwt.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 17:33:55 -0600
I was having a conversation with an old buddy of mine off list on this
whole thing with Skimmer. And his summation below I feel hit's it
perfectly in every way.

He isn't a BIG HF contester but does a lot of VHF/UHF contesting and
work and follows this list because of many thoughts and policies in
contesting find their way into the VHF/UHF world also. In addition he is
a much better writer than I.  He wishes to remain annonomous though.

Enjoy his thoughts. And what does the group think?

Joe WB9SBD

But it comes back to my position that*everything*  about radio technology in
itself*is*  assisting me to make contacts, singling out skimmer types of
technologies I still see as just an arbitrary line drawn around a particular
technology.. I really don't see how a narrow roofing filter cannot be
considered assistance as well, it clearly assists me in hearing signals that I
would not otherwise hear because of the other signals inside a wide passband
are blanking the extremely weak ones. Same for a low phase noise RX design. And
what about CW keyers and logging SW that fills in calls for you with what it
thinks you likely heard, isn't that assistance too? With skimmer it may ID a
signal, but you still need to be sure that it did indeed decode it correctly,
or you get a busted call. And yes, as skimmer user if you let that busted call
happen in your log then you most certainly should take the score hit for it.
Skimmer doesn't relieve you from having to
  positively ID the station and making the exchange itself.

Ham radio technology has been continually evolving from day one. The only thing
that in my mind that can and should be held constant rule-wise is clearly
defining what the station's location is. And in the context of contesting
that*all*  information about signals and operators on the bands be solely
derived by that station's antenna system and the equipment that is connected to
it, AND which are a part of the competition itself. Trying to legislate what
the equipment that is connected to those antennas can, or cannot be allowed to
do with the signals it hears directly from those antennas runs counter to what
ham radio's very foundations are - technological advancement!!

If skimmer types of technology cross some arbitrary line, then why not require
that everyone use 2.4 kHz filters only? After all there are numerous people who
can copy most all of the signals within that 2.4 kHz without problem at all.
How is someone's skill at doing that fundamentally different than someone who
masters jumping from signal to signal most efficiently in skimmer any
different? Skimmer is a long way from making Q's for you, you do need to know
how to use it effectively to make the Q.

And when it comes to bandscopes, with a little practice you can easily identify
who is calling CQ or who is running, and do so without ever actually listening
to them. This is true even with the mediocre $10K JA brand radio scopes that
are out there. The signals (CQ vs. run) each have unique signature patterns,
and you can also tell right away when someone new shows up. So If I know I have
worked all the runners I can skip tuning to them and focus on the CQ'ers,
especially the new ones.  And if you are using a waterfall display you can
often "read" the dots and dashes (something that I'm not very good at BTW) on
the display directly, so isn't that "decoding" of the signal as well?? So then
is that capability close enough to skimmer to deem it also too much like a
spotting network and then panadapters and waterfalls should be banned from SO's
as well?

I don't recall that there was any uproar over memory CW keyers when they came
along, same for computer logging/keying. But yet those who wanted top stay
competitive as (unassisted) SO's once those became popular simply took the time
to implement, learn, and use them. So why shouldn't skimmer types of
technologies be treated the same way today?

And I don't think radio contesting has ever been solely about the operator's
skill alone. And skills aspect alone isn't just copying and finding signals, it
is also "reading" the broader band conditions and activity trends. Plus it also
encompasses the ability to build an effective station. A competitive station is
largely defined by its ability to implement new technologies. If the ability to
apply new technologies is artificially constrained, then why bother improving
stations in the future? Doing that will cause ham radio and ham radio
contesting to eventually whither and die. There have been dozens of previous
technological advances over the years that could have also been deemed "too
disruptive" to be legal for contesting, so why now with skimmer types of
technologies?

One thing for sure is that when I first saw CWSkimmer a few years ago I knew it
was going to kick up a hornets nest of debate in contesting circles - it
certainly has!! I was just surprised at the ratio of "apposed to" vs. those who
like me see it as simply an advancement of radio technology. It also led me to
fully understand what it was specifically about DX spotting networks that had
always bugged me for years. I finally figured out that it wasn't
the*technology*  of the spotting networks itself that bothered me, but it was
instead the fact that ops could use information from*other*  people's stations
to decide whether to try and work a Q or not. And it also really allowed me to
hone in on my current position that all technology that is wholly contained
within my station is fair game to implement. But also that ideally one should
strive to have a "sterile" station environment where the signals themselves are
handled by my own, and exclusive to my
  station's equipment, and that any possible Q info only be obtained by those
means that my station itself is capable of. So that is why I increasingly shy
away from using QSO spotting pages and QSO "chat" pages. Those are
unquestionably "assistance", they turn the Q making process itself into little
more than an exercise in validating a QSO made on the Internet. Local skimmer
types of technologies on the other hand*are*  just me*and*  my station's
equipment finding and making the Q's. No other station or op is involved with
telling me when/where to look.

In the end if local CWSkimmer must be segregated, then it needs to be its own
new category, as it is*not*  the same thing as packet and/or using information
from*other*  stations/ops. I'm truly flabbergasted that people can't see the
difference between the two.

73,

The Original Rolling Ball Clock
Idle Tyme