Re: [CQ-Contest] Reverse Beacon Network Question

To: "'reflector cq-contest'" <CQ-Contest@Contesting.COM>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Reverse Beacon Network Question
From: "Ron Notarius W3WN" <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 21:44:46 -0500
You took me too literally Pete, and missed my point.

You are operating under the assumption that RBN and spotting is the best way
to move contesting forward.  What I was driving at is that not everyone may
agree with you, and for their own reasons (good bad or indifferent) may not
wish to be, ah, aided by these technological marvels, directly or
indirectly.

There is also the Law of Unintended Consequences to consider.  There are
people who are harvesting the data from these and other types of spotting
networks or spotting systems for their own purposes.

Think I'm being paranoid when I say that?  Well, I just started getting my
station on PSK31 over the weekend.  I made one short test CQ (and then ran
into a laptop issue to resolve, but I digress).  12 hours later, I get an
spam email informing me that my CQ was detected & that I have now been
entered into some grand PSK database scheme.  Did you know that there is a
group of amateurs who are spotting & storing PSK stations -- and harvesting
the calls, and finding their email addresses?  I didn't...

But if someone is going to take the trouble to do that with PSK, imagine
what they might do with the output from a cluster or an RBN type of spotting
system.  And what will they do with it?

I work in IT.  Part of my job is to manage my firm's data security.
ANYTHING that potentially can provide clues to one's identity, that can
potentially be used for a security breach or an attempt at identity theft
raises my eyebrows.  So I have to wonder... what will come of all this data
once the contest is over?

73