Re: [CQ-Contest] Online Contesting

To: Brooke Allen <brooke.t.allen@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Online Contesting
From: Timothy Coker <n6win73@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 00:04:03 -0800
Dang Brooke, you can write. I was hooked to your posting.

I was addicted to Everquest, Dark Ages of Camelot, and the such for about 5
years. I enjoyed both the killer and the achiever role. Mainly I played
multiple characters using 2-3 computers (SO2R / SO3R ???) at any time
because one computer (SO1R) was too boring as I leveled up, although it did
quench my thirst for a while as I learned the ropes.

There were not many other competitors who were better than I was. I
generally played a prominent role on my server and led my real life friends,
who played on my server, to many areas in the game that they would have
probably not gotten to without my help. There were areas of the game that
someone would not have gotten certain things unless they came to me in game
or on Ebay as I dominated that particular facet of the game. All of this of
course came at a cost to my personal and professional achievement... hence I
mentioned that I was addicted.

I have since learned to appreciate ham radio contesting again because there
is indeed a beginning and end to each contest. I can practice during the off
times, but it's not always flowing 24/7 like my old online computer games.
Your mention of flow is what makes me so interested in ham radio contesting
(I really enjoy the flow of great rate for my current skill level), general
aviation (especially IFR work where the flow can be intense), and firearms
training / competition. Each of these costs a lot more to do than paying for
a subscription and a computer. I personally find the three mentioned above
to improve my skill set in my chosen profession. The online gaming was so
immersing that it distracted me to the point of often being without enough
sleep on a daily basis.

Thanks for your posting as it indeed shows an excellent number of parallel
examples between ham radio contesting and online gaming.

73,

Tim / N6WIN.