Re: [CQ-Contest] Online Contesting

To: CQ-Contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Online Contesting
From: Brooke Allen <brooke.t.allen@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 14:29:32 +0100
This is a response to K7GO's private comments on my on-line contesting story
(you might begin by reading his words at the bottom).

Lew,

I agree with almost everything you are saying, which means I need to be
clearer in stating my mission:

I am *not *trying to convince young people that ham radio should compete for
their attentions with MMORPGs. Others might wish that, but I agree with you
- it is not a credible objective.

What's more, it is ridiculous to draw parallels where they do not exist -
radio contests are not ROLE PLAYING games, nor are there 3-D in the virtual
sense - only the real one.  But they are massively multi-player, and they
on-line in every sense except the strictest modern interpretation of the
term. (BTW, contesting is a MMOG, not MMORPG)

My goal is to talk to my fellow contesters.

Games that pitch players in battle are but a small corner of the on-line
gaming world. One of the most successful games ever is FarmVille with more
than 81 million active users, and 31 million daily users (year-old stats) No
battles, no fights, just cooperation in what amounts to laborious tasks -
plowing, managing crops, etc. As one friend called it, "poke with cows."

The term "epic" means "*very *imposing or impressive," and "surpassing the
ordinary." A Joan Baez concert may be entertaining, but Woodstock was epic.
A soldier running 26 miles to deliver a message is an interesting historical
footnote.  43,660 people finishing the New York Marathon is epic. Doing
urban planning exercises in a 1980s version of SimCity might be
entertaining, but 1.2% of the world's population tending to FarmVille crops
that don't exist is epic. Working a new one is cool, CQWW is epic.

The newbie experience is quite different from the elder player - this
applies to newbie contesters and gamers alike. When my sons first showed me
World of Warcraft, I thought it was about killing wolves and taking their
loot - and eventually you might graduate to killing other players.

Nothing was farther from the truth.

The purpose of the battles was to improve your skills, and the loot was for
buying armor and the like. Killing other players is cruel, and of interest
to the 1% of players who roughly correspond to the sociopaths in the general
population. As I watched my sons progress, they leveled up their characters
to the point where they could participated in raiding parties that required
the incredibly coordinated efforts of dozens of players, each with their own
specialized skills, honed over hundreds and thousands of hours. Millions of
people were doing this simultaneously - my sons knew they were immersed in
something of epic proportions, and eventually I saw it too. (BTW, "elder"
does not mean old.)

Of Bartle's four gamer types (look it up), "killers" are the rarest.
"Achievers: win with the cooperation of others (not at their expense),
"socializers" relish that cooperation, and "explorers" love to discover new
things - but don't need to win. Who among contesters is a "killer?" I
daresay few; some of us (like me) are "achievers," most casual ops and
members of contesting clubs and multi-op efforts are socializers, and those
of us who advance the technology are explorers. And the battles between FRC,
YCCC, and PVRC are as epic as they are friendly. Contesting is like WoW, not
DOOM or its modern variants.

Who among serious contesters hasn't had an adrenalin rush when bagging a new
multiplier (or working just about anything a continent away on 160)? But
adrenalin  plays a small role in serious game play - it is mostly for
hooking the newbie.

Flow is the main thing - and yet most people don't even know what it is.
When my wife watched my sons play WoW for 8 hours at a clip, she thought
they were crazy, but I knew exactly what was going on, for I have sat down
to play CQWW for 48 hours without sleep. According to Mihály
Csíkszentmihályi,  "flow is completely focused motivation. It is a
single-minded immersion and represents perhaps the ultimate in harnessing
the emotions in the service of performing and learning." (from wikipedia).

Athletes call "flow" being "in the zone." Once you experience it, it can be
the most addictive feeling around. It is the memory of hours of flow, and
the anticipation of more to come, that has me working 100 feet in the air
repairing my antennas, traveling to far-off lands, constantly leveling up my
skills. It isn't about winning, it is about the hallmark of flow: "a feeling
of spontaneous joy, even rapture, while performing a task." Flow only comes
when a difficult challenge meets high skill in an all-consuming activity.
When you are in flow, you can ignore everything else. A friend owes a
10-year-old record in CQWW to the fact he had an impacted tooth that was
excruciatingly painful - but only when he stopped operating.

99% of the people who fill out my logs in the contest may think I'm crazy,
but the 1% at the top of the leader boards know *exactly *what I'm talking
about (although they might not have heard these words before). Think about
it; something is motivating people to go to the extreme lengths they do, and
believe me, it ain't about adrenalin or winning a piece of paper. Maybe
DXing is about that, but contesting for the elder players is about flow.

My mission is to inspire awe in our hobby - not among young gamers, but
among you all. Learn how to express this, and you will be able to recruit
new people. Don't do it, and you'll lose to the competition for their hearts
and minds.

I was driving to a science conference from New York to Boston with a
colleague and his teenage son. When I told him there was an HF transciever
in the car, he said he had Skype on his cell phone and we could call
anywhere in the world, and we could talk to people we knew, not random
strangers.

He didn't understand. So I told him.

"Using a little box of electronics, and about the same power as just one of
the 11 light bulbs in my kitchen, we are going to send electrons up and down
a piece of wire wrapped around 7 feet of fiberglass on the roof of our car.
Invisible light would boil off this wire, and spread out all over the globe,
bouncing off the upper atmosphere, the ground, the atmosphere, the ground,
perhaps many times, and most of these photons would be absorbed or diluted
as the spread out over the globe. Yet enough might land on another tiny
piece of wire somewhere on the planet and induce electrons to move back an
forth there too. Another person who shares my interest might stumble across
those electrons and decide to reciprocate. And we will talk to each other."

His jaw dropped.

Our car trip wasn't long enough. My friend and his son could not believe
their luck to experience such a miracle as we swapped photons with people in
Italy, Russia, Brazil, and perhaps a dozen other countries.

I have to go now to pack for my trip to TI5N to operate the ARRL DX contest.
Like dozens of others, I will get in an aluminum tube, and travel 7 miles
above the earth at five sevenths of the speed of sound to a land thousands
of miles away to sit down at the home of just one of my million brothers and
sisters to push electrons around his crop of aluminum. I will exchange beeps
with thousands of you, but my goal is not to win a piece of paper that says
"1st place, 15 meter single band" but to experience flow and the awe of it
all. There is no way you can tell me this isn't going to be an epic
experience for me. And if it isn't going to be one for you, all I can say is
that I hope you level up some day.

It wasn't until we began creating virtual worlds for a multi-billion dollar
industry that we really began to study in earnest what makes for a
compelling experience. The goal of my article is to discuss what we can
learn from these designers of worlds so as to more fully appreciate our
sport, and to improve upon it. For many, I also hope to rekindle the awe you
experienced in your youth, and if you do that (and hang around with young
people), you'll find that it rubs off.

73,

Brooke N2BA (soon to be /TI)

PS. Come on guys - start telling me your personal epic contesting
experiences. I know you have them - cough 'em up.

Brooke Allen
---
www.BrookeAllen.net
www.NoShortageOfWork.com