[CQ-Contest] Re: Online Contesting

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: Online Contesting
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 12:15:23 -0700
With all due respect, Steve, I suspect that you have never actually
played any modern online multiplayer games.  It is a far richer
experience than any ham radio contest, and I can't imagine any online
gamer being persuaded to join us based upon some sort of legacy appeal.
It would be like expecting an audiophile to spend any serious time (and
serious dollars) to listen to old wire recordings.

I really enjoy radiosport (in fact, it is probably the only operating
aspect of ham radio that still has significant appeal for me), but I
enjoy it because it has a history for me and it's a focused event ....
kind of like seeing how many free throws I can make in a row on the
basketball court.

Online multiplayer gaming, though, can be incredibly complex with
literally several dozens of different player types that each have
strengths and weaknesses versus one another that sometimes change
depending upon the environment.  The permutations are truly staggering.
It often takes years for most gamers to get proficient at these things,
and it also takes lots of study ... there are several online wiki's that
describe aspects of any particular game in great detail and also outline
key player strategies.  How do I know all this?  My wife and son are
both avid gamers, and I can tell you right now that anyone who claims
today's youngsters are not drawn to ham radio "because they aren't
willing to work for it" is ridiculously off base and simply kidding
themselves.

Consider also the impressive audio and video implementations in most
online games, the ability for group voice interactivity via free
applications like Ventrilo, the occasionally clever background game
scenarios, and minimal hardware/software cost.  The overall comparison
to competitive ham radio is not favorable in the least.  It is entirely
possible to be eminently competitive in online gaming with a $500
computer (which most people have anyway), a decent internet connection
(which most people have anyway), and maybe $250 per year "operating
cost" (online subscriptions, game upgrades, etc).  That's cheaper than
many folks pay for their cell phone hardware and service, and it's a
heck of a lot cheaper than what I've invested to be a semi-competent
contester.

Maybe someone can prove me wrong in a few isolated recruiting instances,
but I'm pretty sure it won't be very many.

73,
Dave   AB7E