Re: [CQ-Contest] Comments on Proposed Changes to ARRL DX

To: "Peter Chamalian" <w1rm@arrl.net>, "'Dick Green WC1M'" <wc1m73@gmail.com>, "'Bud Trench'" <aa3b.bud@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Comments on Proposed Changes to ARRL DX
From: "Richard DiDonna NN3W" <richnn3w@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 08:48:33 -0400
I actually think it would do the reverse for competitive operators. By
instituting time limits, I think you will absolutely guarantee "dead" times
in ARRL DX.  Similar to WPX, you will have large amounts of dead space from
about 0600 to 1000z - depending on how much off time ARRL is proposing.

You will also be guaranteeing that CQ Magazine's CQWW is the king of all
contests since it will be the only major DX contest that is a 48 hour event
for single operators.

As to participation, ARRL needs to realize that ARRL DX is the world's
largest QSO party.  Unless you make it a everyone-works-everyone contest
(and we have plenty of them), there is not an incentive for hams to fly to
5R8, 8Q7, A2 and D4 to operate this contest.  The WAE contest is similar in
this fashion - no rare DX activations and the winners (outside of the focus
area) are typically in places that are proximate to EU - ZC4, UP, UA9, CN,
EA9, etc.

73 Rich NN3W