Re: [CQ-Contest] USB-to-DB9 interface

To: <CQ-Contest@CONTESTING.COM>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] USB-to-DB9 interface
From: "Jim Price" <jnprice@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 21:58:05 -0700
Jim - I fought with this one for a long time.  The final solution for me was
two pieces:

1) a WinKey attached to a USB port and thence to the radio's CW key line to
handle the CW keying, and
2) an RT Systems USB-RTS01 USB adapter which plugs into the remote jack on
my transceiver.  [from K3TN's e-mail, there is apparently a newer version]

My specific situation:  HP laptop with Windows 7, an IC-746 Xcvr.
I spent countless hours trying to get other 'solutions' to work.  There
didn't seem to be any way to do it with just one device, even though I had
been operating that way for years when I had a Compaq laptop with XP.  Ah,
progress.

73 - Jim, K6ZH

P.S. I use N1MM for contest logging and DX4WIN for everything else.  The
two-prong approach above works great with both of them.  You have to assign
2 different comm. ports within each program - one for the WinKey, and one
for control.