Re: [CQ-Contest] How to SO2R for a SS newbie?

To: craig@powersmith.net, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] How to SO2R for a SS newbie?
From: BobK8IA@aol.com
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 20:05:41 -0400 (EDT)
Craig, that's a good post. Tnx for sharing.

At our modest M/2 here at K8IA/N7RQ/N7AT (using various callsigns,  mostly
N7AT, KC7V and K8IA lately) we implemented a in-band SO2V learning  program
among the regular 7 operators, about 18 months ago. Some fell right into
the learning, some are still struggling, but all are giving it a try.

During our last big effort here, CQWPX CW (KC7V callsign....6.6 million
claimed points in M/2), we ended up with  18% of our 3315 q's  were SO2V
qso's. Well worth learning SO2V. Radios here are a K3 and an  Orion II (now
with
new beta test RX366 subreceiver) at the two positions.   Both decent SO2V
tools, due to decent 2nd (sub) receivers. Before the K3 a  FT-1000MP filled in
ok even with obvious sub rx shortcomings.

The last two SS operations here have been just SO LP efforts (K8IA
callsign). If I recall I made about 1000 qso's each. I didn't keep specific
SO2V
stats, for those, but I would guess about 12-15% SO2V.

It's worth learning, but like everything else, it needs practice and more
practice, as timing is very important. N1MM handles the headphone
switching/ear assignments well.

73, Bob K8IA,  President
Arizona Outlaws Contest Club
Club Call; N7AT
Website: _www.arizonaoutlaws.net_ (http://www.arizonaoutlaws.net/)

In a message dated 9/20/2011 4:34:28 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,