Re: [CQ-Contest] RTTY

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] RTTY
From: "Michael D. Adams" <mda@ab1od.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 22:26:10 -0400
Hans, K0HB wrote:

> Is anyone anywhere still running a"green keys" mechanical teletypewriter
> machine, as in “Model 15" or "28ASR" or "TD" or "reperf", on amateur radio?
> Does anyone have a TU in actual operation in their shack?  If mentioned that
> you had a surplus of 88mh loading coils available would anyone ask you for
> your price?
>
> Is it time to change the "popular name" of the mode to Baudot?

Well, I know of three teletype machines in use -- two in hams' shacks, and one
in a radio museum.

I hope we don't change the popular name to Baudot.  That would remove a
critical cue to remind me what baud rate I'm supposed to be working ("RTTY" =
45 baud; "Baudot" = a different speed)

--
Michael D. Adams (AB1OD / NNN0WRD)
Poquonock, Connecticut | mda@ab1od.org