Re: [CQ-Contest] Using Multiple Antennas in a Contest

To: "rob beaudoin" <wa1fcn@charter.net>, <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Using Multiple Antennas in a Contest
From: "Chuck" <w5pr@swbell.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2011 07:45:26 -0500
I would like to chime in here.  I use multiple antennas in contests.  (I can
think of no other use for this.)  This is not about stacked, phased
antennas, but antennas in different directions fed at the same time.  It has
nothing to do with QRMing a direction you are not working.  I set up each
band so I can feed one or all the antennas at the same time.  At the shack I
have a homebrew aluminum box I bring all the feed lines for 10 meters into
with relays to select any of them.  I have a simple relay "logic" circuit
that switches a linear coax matching line in to match the impedance any time
2 or 3 of the feed lines are selected. (I only have 3 feed lines, some
antennas are selected and matched on the towers.)  By cutting the
transformer lengths to match about 20 ohms to 50 ohms, 1/2 way between the
combined impedance of 2 and 3 antennas fed together (25 ohms and 17 ohms) I
have a good match for any combination.  In a contest I configure the
antennas toward the desired areas where propagation is open, feed multiple
antennas if needed and work stations. If one is weak, I drop out antennas
until I find the "right" one.  If there is noise on one antenna, I
frequently drop it out to make sure it is not masking weak signals on other
antennas. In this way, you can make rapid-fire QSO in different directions
in contests.

Chuck W5PR