Re: [CQ-Contest] Incomplete SS exchange

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Incomplete SS exchange
From: Dale Putnam <daleputnam@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2011 08:58:06 -0700

> > Some people believe that if the rules say one thing but the example says
> > another, the example reigns supreme (your point). Others say the rules reign
> > supreme and the example is just an example.
>
> I can't find on the ARRL site where the rules say one thing and the
> example another.  Both are exactly the same in this canonical document:
>
> http://www.arrl.org/sweepstakes

I'm pretty sure that it has been mentioned before, yet maybe not with this
particular spin:
The original and main thrust of SS is to emulate or replicate the message
exchange of a radio gram. Thus the training of operators to efficient transfer
of information.
With that being the main focus, the maximum transfer of information is attained
in the most efficient and quickest manner if a number of small, by themselves,
items are addressed by the operators handling the traffic:
1. transmit at a speed reasonably expected to be understood by the rx operator.
Usually this should match the rx station speed. ESPECIALLY when under 15 - 18
wpm.
2. Stay with the expected format..... (yep, here it is!) This is why we have
radiogram forms, why traffic is sent in a prescribed format, why letters start
with "Greeting",
so send what is expected.
3. ALL THIS preplanning and forethought, years of training, experience and
usefulness, gets effectively tossed in the dump, when ANYONE chooses to be more
focused on "ME" rather than the overall winning for everyone. Now, I am NOT
saying that you should throw away winning, what I am saying is that it is more
fair, level, and over all better to follow the expected. NOW if the format
needs changing.. fine, let's change it. Then everyone doesn't send their
callsign as the originator, and the exchange becomes shorter for everyone.

Now, if the intent is the gain an unfair advantage so one's score is improved.
Go for it, and when the format may be changed, find another loophole to drive
through, like higher power than claimed, or like excessive speed, which is
considered rude, in the least, or how about assisted and claim not, or gee...
why bother worrying about the rules anyway... you're in it just to win. And
when it is all said and done, and the day is done, look in the mirror, and
convince yourself that it is all ok, 'cause rationalization is the way to win.
And there will still be folks that are very proud of their own achievements,
for what they really are.

(delete key at the ready!)

Have a great day,

Dale - WC7S - in WY.
Where the pavement ends, and the West begins!