Re: [CQ-Contest] USB and the modern world

To: Jim Reisert AD1C <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>, "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] USB and the modern world
From: <ve4xt@mymts.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 12:38:14 -0600
Hi all,

Here's what I found: FTDI chipset is the way to go, and it seems most USB to
serial convertors will work for rig control, but not for DXD control.

But, if you're not yet set to dump the DXD (and it's a good piece, no doubt)
for a MicroHAM, Top Ten does have a device on its website that, apparently,
does a bang up job of converting USB input into LPT-style inputs the DXD can
understand.

As for me, I found out the computer I got has a COM1 and an LPT1 despite
being new enough to know what USB means. So it's all good and working fine
(once I set the DXD jumpers correctly and installed PortI/O).

73, kelly
ve4xt