Re: [CQ-Contest] encourgaing more entrants in CQWW (was CHECK LOGS)

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] encourgaing more entrants in CQWW (was CHECK LOGS)
From: "Randy Thompson K5ZD" <k5zd@charter.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 14:48:42 -0000
I believe there is a place for time limited categories in contesting.  It
would increase participation and activity among some people if they had an
outlet for their competitive spirit even though they could not devote the
full weekend to a contest.

However, there is a very real danger of unintended consequences.  Whatever
time limit is set, there will be some people who operate more to maximize
their time under the limit.  There will be other people who operate less
because they would prefer to compete within the time limit.  It is uncertain
whether this would result in a net gain or net loss of total QSOs, but it
seems counterproductive to have any rule encourages less activity.  (Yes,
there are contests with off time requirements that do just that, but they
apply to everyone.)

If we had a time limited category, it would tend to drive activity to the
already high activity periods.  It would tend to discourage activity in the
slow times.  Not helpful.

No good answer.  Just pointing out the challenge of creating a competition
around a limit.

Randy, K5ZD