Re: [CQ-Contest] encourgaing more entrants in CQWW (was CHECK LOGS)

To: cq-contest <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] encourgaing more entrants in CQWW (was CHECK LOGS)
From: Mike N1TA <n1tangoalpha@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 13:36:13 -0500
Well, the goal here is not to create a noncompetitive category. It would
simply be to give operators a chance to be competitive in a shorter
category. So yes, you are correct. The real competitors will enter the
shorter category. And I think that's the point! If you can bang out 5mil in
5 hours, hey, more power to you and thanks for making things interesting.
But at least I know you've spent the same amount of time as me.

Let's not make the mistake of assuming that only rookies operate shorter
contests. There are plenty of stations who ARE competitive but without as
much time. Owning a retail business will prevent me from operating the
first hour tonight (it's Black Friday here in the states - a big shopping
day). Would I have been competitive this year anyway? Probably not, but if
I could enter a time constrained category, I would be more evenly matched.
This is not to say a rookie sprint within a contest would be a bad thing,
in fact I'm all for it, but that is not necessarily related to shorter time
categories.

Having said that, I do think we need to test this first with a widespread
study, as there certainly will be consequences to it. 3830 would be a good
starting point, but those part time stations who currently aren't in
contention for top spots are less likely to submit their scores to the
list. So our cross section would be skewed. Might be a good thing to
harvest from a public logs contest, if only to see the differences - if any
- between ssb and cw weekends.

--
Mike DeChristopher, N1TA