Re: [CQ-Contest] Receiving Antenna Splitter and Switching SystemQuestion

To: <n3rd@arrl.net>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Receiving Antenna Splitter and Switching SystemQuestion
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 18:01:17 -0500
I use this system:

http://www.w8ji.com/images/New%20Contest%20Room/Contest%20station%20CQWW2007/receiver-switch-matrix.jpg

Except now I have PC boards laid out....the PC boards I have are cascadable,
so they will build into a system as large as required in multiples of two.
For example, I can do a 8x10 matrix or anything else.

It has magic T splitters, and splits six inputs into four outputs.

The controls for receivers look like this:

http://www.w8ji.com/images/Shack/RX-ant-select.jpg

In the house, the matrix is 7 antennas to four channels. I have Eu Bev rear,
Eu Bev Front, Bev rear 8 directions, Bev front 8 directions, Eu verticals, 8
direction 8 antenna vertical array, and a spare port that can be assigned
any new antenna array.

Pulling one plug and inserting another changes the system from house to the
barn. It now takes about a minute to change from house use to barn use.

I can transmit on 160 and receive at the same time, so dynamic range is
good, but I do have wide antenna separation. On 40 I can get into band noise
floor ~3 kHz off my own transmitter.

My system is all 75 ohm, because the cable is very good, cheap, and very
easy to use, and because very few receivers actually measure 50-ohm anyway.
The receiver leads are all 75 ohm miniature coax.

73 Tom