Re: [CQ-Contest] Can a call be too short?

To: CQ-Contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Can a call be too short?
From: "Yannick (XV4Y)" <yannick.devos@online.fr>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 14:14:35 +0700
Hi,

I am neither an experienced CW op nor an avid contester.
I would also differentiate low-bands and HF, running or S&P.
However this is my experience with "different letters" and a "rare" callsign
when I am calling not running.

I have the XV4Y callsign for one year.
I run 100W in a GP so my signal is never that loud. I usually send at speeds
between 15 and 18 wpm.
On 20m and up, if he is an experienced op, 99% of the time the DX has my
callsign right from the beginning.
The X is always good as is the Y. Perhaps the trailing dash help to "close the
letter" and since they are 4 elements long, you cannot invent one more.
If S/N is not that bad, the V and the 4 side by side are easy to recognize.

Problems arise when the S/N get worst and when the operator is not expecting an
XV to call (in contests, not expeditions for example).
They try to guess the callsign and even they have almost right at first, mix
things up side down.
First people hear a U insteod of the V. The transform the 4 in 2 since XV2 is
Saigon area and more callsigns were issued there.
2 and 4 are hard to mix but perhaps the V makes them think I was sending
errors...
Second the transform the callsign in VK4Y or YX4Y or XV4YX because they think
it is too short or too rare.

My own conclusions :
- strings of dits are bad because you can loose one in the noise and will never
know if it was E5EIE or E5EH or E5HE...
- long letters (B, H, V, C, Q, Y, Z...) helps to have a good pace and makes
guessing easier in the noise,
- trailing dashes are good and helps to distinguish the caracter spacing,
- 1, 9, 4 and 6 numbers are hard to get wrong,
- average power matters and so dashes are good,
- too short is not good for calling because people don't expect so short
callsigns and want to add letters.

73,
Yan.
---