Re: [CQ-Contest] How close is too close?

To: sawyered@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] How close is too close?
From: Timothy Coker <n6win73@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 07:25:17 -0800
I enjoy CW contests a lot for this reason (there are others too). With my
K3 and a 400hz 8-pole I can slip right in between like you mention. If
someone does the same to me I can button down the hatches from 500hz
filtering while running to 300hz, usually without the need to move. If I
have to stay at 300hz for long I am usually thinking of moving if the rate
isn't good.

As Randy mentions the defense option comes in to mind. It's "My Frequency"
can happen to all of us, big or little, and sometimes we politely ask
people to move. Other times one might find themselves creeping up/down to
over power the encroaching station and force him to move or suffer the rate
consequences. Ham spirit? Competitive way? All open for debate sure, but
then there is the reality of the contest environment.

I am sure his receivers were just fine, if not better than yours. I am
pretty sure the DX stations had a much easier time finding and working him.
You were that station in between that one works as icing on the cake during
the phase of having worked a big boy and initially turning the dial. I have
nudged myself in close to a big gun under the thinking that they will bring
a lot of stations to that frequency and thus here I will be only 300-700 kc
away. I have, at times, wondered if my signal was bothering a big gun (much
like a small animal taking advantage of the big animal's left overs)?

73,

Tim / N6WIN.