Re: [CQ-Contest] Run rates without packet

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Run rates without packet
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 16:37:29 -0800
> I have a question for old time contesters.  Before the Internet,  packet
> radio, DX clusters and skimmers, what were typical CW and SSB contest
running
> rates?  I imagine they must have been much less than current  ones.
 Not sure packet makes that much of a difference.  True - it can give you a
big boost for short periods of time, or alert people to an otherwise
undiscovered opening, but overall, it might not have much impact.

Here are some specific rates I remember well before packet.  These aren't
the best I have heard of - but you tend to remember your own.

XE2SI - start of ARRL DX CW around 1982 - 203 hour.
N6TR at KB6I - ARRL SS SSB around 1979 - 160 hour.
N6TR at KB6I - open CD Party SSB around 1976 - hitting 20 meter SSB after
hanging on 10/15 for a long time - 168 QSOs.

I know N6AA, N6TJ and others had 200+ hours in the CQ WW CW in the 70's -
and rates close to or over 300 an hour on SSB.  I duped the logs for N6RJ
(now an SK) from ZF2 on SSB and would occasionally see 300/hour.

All it takes is one guy calling you to have a good rate.  In fact - this is
the best scenario as you don't have to deal with the QRM associate with a
packet pileup.  There are times when contest stations really would rather
not be spotted.

73 Tree N6TR
tree@kkn.net