Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote Control in Contests

To: CQ Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote Control in Contests
From: Zack Widup <w9sz.zack@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 10:35:50 -0500
There is no RF in the signal path between the operator and the station
equipment for most of the stations I know of. Most speakers/headphones are
connected from the radio to the operator by wires. Most microphones are
connected by wires. Audio transfer takes place by longitudinal compression
waves in the atmosphere (also not RF). I gave an example in another posting
of actual RF in this signal path using a couple of CB walkie-talkies. But
that was a single case. I don't personally know of anyone else who has done
this, though.

So you either use a wire that's a couple feet long to connect you to your
station, or you use wires/Internet that is hundreds or thousands of miles
long. Actually, there is more probability that there is RF in part of this
path using Internet than there is at your home station.

73, Zack W9SZ