Re: [CQ-Contest] KP2MM Disqualified in ARRL CW 2012

To: "'Ron Notarius W3WN'" <wn3vaw@verizon.net>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] KP2MM Disqualified in ARRL CW 2012
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m73@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2012 14:42:36 -0400
My problem with your definition is the word "presence". So, if I go over to
your house, and you sit in a chair in the radio room watching me operate a
contest, is it multi-op? No, definitely not. Mere presence of another person
in the room doesn't make it multi-op. I'm sure that situation has occurred
countless time with guest single-ops and their hosts.

I think Brett has a more valid argument, in that the presence of the control
operator is required in order to transmit on the Extra Class frequencies. In
fact, a somewhat stronger argument can be made based on the wording about
3rd party traffic someone posted earlier. That post says the FCC doesn't
consider transmissions by a US op on behalf of a US control operator to be
3rd party traffic. It's common practice at multi-ops to let all sorts of
people, like wives, daughters, visitors, etc. work DX on the frequencies
permitted by the station owner's license. But the *on behalf* wording brings
us closer to the control op actually participating, and thus turning it into
a multi-op.

But I still think it's a stretch. This goes back to the earlier discussion
we had about Skimmer. Relying on difficult-to-define terms, like
"assistance", "presence", etc., leads to differing interpretations of the
rules. Looking beyond the syntax to the impact on the competition is a
clearer and more reliable approach. Basically, it's form versus substance,
and I think substance is more important than form.

I would be perfectly happy to compete in the Single-Op category against a
General Class licensee operating under the privileges of an Extra Class
control operator. I don't think it gives the General Class op any meaningful
advantage because he/she is the one making the contacts and operating
decisions. The competition is about my skill versus that op's skill. I don't
care that the General Class licensee gets 25 KHz more to operate in than
he/she otherwise would get. I'm perfectly happy to let that person compete
on the same playing field that I'm on. In fact, I prefer it that way.
Competition-wise, it's a lot less of a problem for me than the fellow who
"borrows" a station with multiple 4-stacks on 200' towers! The impact of
that is a lot less about skill than aluminum.

Looking at it this way, we should allow people to have a little more fun in
contests when the competitive factors are unaffected and there's no harm to
anyone else competing in the category. Surely, we're talking about a
victimless "crime" here.

And let's drop the business about the op violating his license privileges.
According to FCC rules and what's been posted here, even an unlicensed
person can legally make DX contacts in the presence of a control operator,
using whatever frequencies are permitted by the control operator's license,
and it doesn't violate the 3rd party traffic rules. We can debate what "on
behalf of a control operator" means in terms of contest categories, and
possibly DQing the log, but I haven't seen any convincing argument that the
op broke the law.

73, Dick WC1M