Re: [CQ-Contest] A smoking gun? (was RE: KP2MM Disqualified in ARRL CW 2

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] A smoking gun? (was RE: KP2MM Disqualified in ARRL CW 2012)
From: Nate Bargmann <n0nb@n0nb.us>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 16:29:39 -0500
Whose station is it anyway?

I ask because present FCC records no longer include a physical station
address.  The address is the mailing address of the operator holding the
station license.  Ownership of equipment or real estate is not covered
in Part 97.

Therefore, if I go to someone else's home and operate from their
location using my callsign, no matter who owns the actual equipment
used, then per logical sense, I and I alone am responsible for the
proper operation of the station.

On the other hand, if I allow someone to operate from my home using
their callsign, they and they alone are responsible for the operation of
the station.

A club license is more complex because, as I understand it, even though
the license hold of the club call may authorize a control operator, the
trustee of the club license will be involved should questions about the
operation arise.

But as the FCC no longer maintains a record of physical station
locations, some of these rules seem to be in serious need of an update
to reflect that.  It seems to me that the FCC will contact whoever the
holder of a given callsign happens to be without concern of the location
the operation is conducted from or the owner of the equipment.

73, de Nate >>