Re: [CQ-Contest] A smoking gun? (was RE: KP2MM Disqualified in ARRLCW 20

To: <w1md@cfl.rr.com>, "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m73@gmail.com>, "CONTEST" <CQ-Contest@CONTESTING.COM>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] A smoking gun? (was RE: KP2MM Disqualified in ARRLCW 2012)
From: "Radio K0HB" <kzerohb@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 04:37:40 -0000
Dick, I don't share your interpretation of FCC rules on this matter.

If a station owner designates you as the control operator of his station, he
is NOT (in my opinion) bound to observe your operation (in effect acting as
a second control operator).

§97.7, §979, §97.103, §97.105, and §97.109 all speak about control
operators.  In EVERY case the paragraphs refer to the control operator in
singular terms, and there is never a mention of control operator(s) in a
plural sense.

It is true (see §97.103(a)) that the station owner can be held responsible
for the operation of his station when control is surrendered (designated) to
another licensee ("the control operator" in FCC words).  I do not interpret
this as a requirement for the owner to be present, only that he exercise due
care in selecting a control operator and be willing to share the
consequences if his designee runs afoul of FCC rules (such as operating
outside his personal license privileges).

Disclaimer:  I am not an FCC lawyer.

73, de Hans, K0HB