Re: [CQ-Contest] Estimating arrival angles?

To: Zack Widup <w9sz.zack@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Estimating arrival angles?
From: Jukka Klemola <jpklemola@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 13:27:14 +0300
Luckily the world is not that simple we really could measure the arrival angle.
There are often more than one sky wave propagation models happening
all the time if you are in ZL2.

>From ZL2, you work a JA, a W6 or anything else that is 'close by' ..
the propagation usually happens through at least two F2 hops.

To estimate how the propagation works out, I have used a DOS program
Miniprop for that purpose.
W6EL that works in WinXP machines, might have the same feature.
At least you can set the minimum radiation angle also in W6EL so you
can experiment by software the phenomena you are after.

Maybe also VOACP has some possibilities for that, but I found VOACAP
to be largely inferior comparing to even Miniprop when I was
experimenting the low angle propagation models for long-haul paths.

I gave OH6BG a set of feedback, so VOACAP may have been corrected or
at least improved, I do not know.

I have been very happy experimenting by software with W6EL and Miniprop.

..yes. I still have even DOS computers around so I can use the
_Good_Old_Softwares_.

73,
Jukka