Re: [CQ-Contest] Estimating arrival angles?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Estimating arrival angles?
From: Joe <nss@mwt.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 07:48:45 -0500
I agree, Changing the length should have little to no change of the main
lobe angle above the horizon.

But what did make a HUGE change, was what I had in the 80's I had small
Mosley TA-33 Vintage 70's up on a Rohn HDBX self supporting 54 foot
tower. I had the typical rotor on it of course, but I also had another
rotor on the boom of the beam.

The experiment came from the HUGE success I had with  curing faraday
rotation on my 2 meter EME system by rotating the polarity. I thought
about the same thing on HF. the polarity is surely not just horizontal
or vertical ever. But also always changing. So I tried a rotor on the
boom so I can rotate it in polarity.

And wow did that make a difference!!!!  Max signals were rarely
horizontal or vertical. And as they always say polarity mismatch can
change signal levels up to 20 to 30 DB!. And boy did it ever!

Now I do have to admit, polarity was not the ONLY thing changing here.
But the antennas main lobe take off angle would be changing also. Look
at any chart that shows  take off angles that take into account
polarity. And the vertically polarizied always had a lower angle.

So between the polarity and lobe shift some really impressive signal
level changes would happen when rotating that beam along it's axis.

Joe WB9SBD
Sig
The Original Rolling Ball Clock
Idle Tyme