Re: [CQ-Contest] Cheating

To: "Pete Smith N4ZR" <n4zr@contesting.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Cheating
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2012 10:06:07 -0400
This certainly illustrates a major problem with public and private
lynchings......

 > While I'd like to claim that the Reverse Beacon Network can do this,
> there are a couple of reasons why not. First, the time of a spot is
> reported only to the nearest minute.  Second, the time shown is when CW
> Skimmer determined that the callsign had been sufficiently validated to
> warrant spotting it.  This can happen over a relatively long period,
> even over a number of transmissions, so long as the station remains on
> the same frequency.

It is possible to actually interleave CW, so momentary word pauses allow a
window for other transmitters. The multiple frequency recorded data needs to
be in actual true time on all frequencies if we look for simultaneous
transmissions.

While I abandoned this idea for a while because of interface issues with
computer logging software and operators, I had a box built that stored the
CW and watched for three-dot or longer "word pauses". The box could "hold"
CW coming in and insert short bursts in word pauses by increasing word
space.

Like this:
1 W8XX
2 k4aa
1 599
2 599
1 ga
2 ga
1 tu
2 agn?

etc

>From a few experiments, I'm sure that is workable technology. The only
problems were logging software did not allow an external hold to prevent
rehitting a send while a transmitter was held off, and the operator
interface for knowing and cancelling a held send.

Recording two channels in a single stereo recording works, but I'm not sure
what else does. The first thing is we should know how the data collection
system works, and I only know how a two channel stereo system would work.
:-)