Re: [CQ-Contest] Non-assisted & Assisted

To: Bob Naumann <W5OV@W5OV.COM>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Non-assisted & Assisted
From: Pete Smith N4ZR <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 08:08:55 -0500
I almost entirely agree with Bob, though I do feel that the absence of single-op-assisted categories in some contests is unfair to those who are both serious about contesting and want to use assistance.

I think that another analogy fits here. If you're a traffic cop, your objective is not to ensure that every single motorist obeys the law all the time. That would take infinite resources. Instead, you want to focus on keeping the vast majority within the rules, so that they can go safely and happily down the road, and on catching and punishing the flagrant violators.

The fact that you don't know whether the cop with his radar may be over the next hill is a useful way of limiting the number of speeders through simple intimidation, but that doesn't mean that you should try to have a cop car over every hill.

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at
http://reversebeacon.net,
blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com.